I made some really delicious apple cupcakes this weekend for an Octoberfest party. I have never baked fruit in a cake before, and I definitely want to try it again soon.
Makes about 36 cupcakes
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 1 cup whole wheat flour
– 2 cups packed brown sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups milk
– 1 cup vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla
– 2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, prepare cupcake pans with wrappers.
2. Mix dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking soda, spices and salt), in a large bowl. Pinch out any lumps in the sugar as you mix.
3. Add wet ingredients (milk, oil, vanilla) and mix together until smooth.
4. Add apples and stir until evenly distributed.
5. Fill cupcake pans and bake for about 20 minutes.
I used a simple white icing to frost the cupcakes.
Make 2 batches to frost 36 cupcakes
– 1 stick butter (room temperature)
– 4 cups powdered sugar
– 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
– 4-6 tablespoons milk
1. Cream butter using a mixer with the paddle attachment.
2. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until combined, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla then the milk, one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.