I have been trying to get better about using up all of the food in our fridge before buying new stuff, so when I was planning for our family Easter party, I looked at what we had first before hitting the grocery store. I had some fresh mozzarella in the fridge and frozen phyllo cups in the freezer, so I picked up some grape tomatoes and fresh basil to make these cute little appetizers.
They were pretty easy, and most of the prep-work was done the night before the party.
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped into little pieces
- 4 dozen phyllo cups (found in the frozen food section with desserts)
- about 5 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place tomatoes, garlic and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Once tomatoes are roasted, cool to room temperature and mix in mozzarella.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Place phyllo cups on a rimmed cookie sheet and add a small scoop of the tomato mixture to each one. Add a small piece of fresh basil to each one. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
We served them with an asparagus tart on this cool two-tiered server that my sister had. The were delicious and we ended up making the roasted tomatoes again today for lunch. I really need to set up a tomato plant on our back porch because I think we’ll be eating a lot of these this summer!